Bangladesh Prepare for Australian Backlash in Second Test at Mackay

Update: 21 August 2026, 5:48:16 PM

Bangladesh coach Phil Simmons has cautioned his squad to brace for a fierce response from Australia as they head into the second Test in Mackay this Saturday. The warning comes after Bangladesh secured a historic nine-wicket win in the series opener in Darwin, a result local media outlets have labeled the “Darwin Disaster.”

Simmons emphasized that his team must avoid complacency against the World Test Championship leaders. “The only thing I had to say to them – and I will repeat it anyway – is that Australia is going to come harder,” he stated on Friday. He added that the team must either maintain their high level of performance or improve by at least one percent to remain competitive.

Reflecting on the Darwin triumph, Simmons described it as one of the most satisfying results of his long career in red-ball cricket. Despite the success, he remains hesitant to alter his winning lineup, even as left-arm pacer Shoriful Islam returns to contention following a hamstring injury. Shoriful, who has claimed 27 wickets in 13 Tests, offers a unique tactical option, but Simmons noted he is generally reluctant to change a side that has just secured a victory.

Australia has confirmed one change to their roster for the upcoming match, with Matt Renshaw replacing Jake Weatherald at the top of the order. Weatherald was dropped earlier this week following a string of six underwhelming Test appearances.

Captain Pat Cummins initially suggested the team might drop spinner Nathan Lyon to accommodate a fourth paceman, Scott Boland, on the pace-friendly surface at the Great Barrier Reef Arena. However, officials reversed that stance shortly after, confirming Lyon’s place in the side following a final inspection of the pitch.

The Australian batting lineup struggled significantly in the first Test, with only Steve Smith and second-innings centurion Cameron Green providing notable resistance. Cummins acknowledged that the team failed to perform at their best in Darwin and is seeking a substantial improvement in Mackay.

“I certainly felt like we didn’t play anywhere near our best, and they played really well and they deserved to win,” Cummins said. He remains confident in the team’s preparation, noting that the focus is now on translating their training form into a positive result on the field. The report also notes that “We have to either keep that level of performance or get a little bit better. The report also notes that then we will have to make sure that that’s there, even if we have to get 1 percent better in some areas. The report also notes that captain Pat Cummins initially told a news conference that Australia were considering bringing in a ⁠fourth paceman in Scott Boland and leaving ⁠out spinner Nathan Lyon, who took 1-125 in Darwin in his first match back after a hamstring injury last December. The report also notes that the Australian batting was poor in Darwin, with the exception of Steve Smith (71 and 44) and second-innings century-maker Cameron Green. The report also notes that fortunately we’ve got a decent body of work to look back on.

More News

Comments

Your email address will not be published.