Travelodge chief executive Joanna Boydell has resigned from her position following a wave of public backlash concerning security failures at the hotel chain. The company confirmed on Thursday that Boydell has stepped down, with finance chief Ray Reidy stepping in as a temporary replacement while the board initiates a search for a permanent successor.
The leadership change follows significant pressure regarding the company’s safety standards. In March, then-prime minister Keir Starmer wrote to Boydell, urging her to “seriously engage with MPs” regarding concerns over women’s safety. This intervention followed reports of security breaches that left guests vulnerable to attacks.
One notable incident involved a guest in Berkshire who was sexually assaulted in 2022 after a man falsely claimed to be her partner and was granted access to her room by staff. The victim later described the company’s subsequent offer of a £30 refund as “insulting.”
More recently, it was revealed that in October, a woman staying at a London Travelodge to escape a domestic abuser was attacked after staff provided the man with a key to her room. The assailant had convinced reception staff that his girlfriend was experiencing a medical emergency, leading them to direct him to her room without verifying the guest’s consent. The victim reported that she had to flee the scene, describing the experience as traumatic.
Travelodge chair Stephen Shurrock stated that the leadership transition “does not change anything about our focus on safety and security.” The company has previously maintained that such security incidents are “very rare” and that customer safety remains a top priority.
Employment law expert Jo Mackie of Michelmores warned that the brand faces a risk of “freefall” if it cannot effectively restore public confidence. She noted that the company has been “beset by awful stories involving sexual assault and poor security,” suggesting the CEO faced significant pressure to reset the brand’s image.
In response to these challenges, Travelodge announced on Thursday that a leading barrister has completed a review of its room access policies and escalation procedures. The hotel chain has also conducted an audit to ensure all UK rooms are equipped with secondary deadbolts.
New operational protocols now mandate that any request for an additional or replacement room key requires explicit permission from the registered guest. This policy reinforces the company’s existing stance of never confirming to third parties that a specific individual is staying at one of their locations.
To implement these changes, Travelodge is currently training 12,000 customer-facing staff across more than 600 UK sites. Furthermore, the company has engaged an expert in violence against women and girls to provide training for senior management. The firm stated that these experts have reviewed existing procedures and will assist in responding to the findings of the independent review to ensure that all guests “feel safe” in their hotels. The report also notes that the woman, who wants to remain anonymous, said she had run “shaking, crying and begging for help”. The report also notes that “I thought someone would protect me,” she told the BBC. The report also notes that saying his girlfriend was upstairs having a seizure, he had persuaded staff to give him access. The report also notes that assaulted her and tried to grab her phone, staff did not check with the woman before giving him the card and pointed him to her room where he kicked in the door. The report also notes that “The CEO is likely to have been under great pressure to resign for some time to try and reset the brand by hiring a new leader who will overhaul the image and try to regain trust. The report also notes that “That is going to be incredibly hard for the incoming CEO to do, as these stories continue to appear in the media. The report also notes that it’s difficult to see who Travelodge could bring in who would instil trust and confidence quickly and stop the business going into freefall.”.











Comments