Manitoba Premier Criticizes Trump as Canada Weighs Trade Concessions to Avoid Tariffs

Update: 21 August 2026, 6:25:00 AM

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew launched a sharp critique of U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday, describing him as a “bad person” who is “not to be trusted.” Kinew urged Canadian leaders to maintain a firm stance in ongoing trade negotiations rather than rushing to offer concessions to Washington. His comments come as federal and provincial officials weigh whether to restore the sale of U.S. alcohol in Canadian stores to prevent the implementation of threatened 50% U.S. tariffs.

Dominic LeBlanc, the federal minister overseeing Canada-U.S. trade, indicated that both nations are nearing a final agreement following his recent meetings in Washington with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. While LeBlanc noted that progress is being made and officials remain in the U.S. to finalize terms, the full details of the potential deal have not been disclosed. President Trump has characterized the emerging agreement as “very fair,” and the 50% tariffs on approximately $20 billion in Canadian imports have been delayed until 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

Despite his vocal opposition to the U.S. president, Kinew suggested that Manitoba might align with a unified “Team Canada” approach at the request of Prime Minister Mark Carney. However, he encouraged citizens to continue purchasing domestic goods even if American products return to provincial liquor store shelves. Other provincial leaders, including the premiers of Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, have expressed support for the negotiation strategy led by Carney. Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham stated that provincial leaders reached a consensus during a Wednesday call with Carney to restore U.S. alcohol sales, though not all premiers have publicly confirmed this commitment.

Kinew characterized Carney’s push for the restoration of U.S. alcohol sales as a necessary step to secure the broader trade agreement. Provincial governments, while lacking a formal veto over federal trade deals, maintain control over liquor distribution and procurement rules—areas that have become significant points of contention. Eight of Canada’s 10 provinces currently restrict or ban U.S. alcohol in retaliation for previous tariffs and ongoing political tensions. Ontario, which operates the massive LCBO retail network, previously sold nearly 1 billion Canadian dollars ($723 million) worth of U.S. products annually before implementing its current restrictions.

The Manitoba premier argued that Canada holds the advantage in these talks, suggesting that the U.S. administration is “back on their heels.” He referenced the “TACO” trade theory—an acronym for “Trump Always Chickens Out”—to describe the president’s history of imposing high import taxes before retreating. Kinew expressed skepticism regarding the long-term stability of any deal made with the current U.S. administration, questioning whether such agreements would be honored.

Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette has taken a more cautious approach, noting that while Carney addressed many of her concerns regarding the potential agreement, she has not yet formally endorsed it. She stated that Quebec is currently evaluating the economic impact of the deal and that any decision to restore U.S. alcohol sales at the government-run SAQ would be made independently by the province.

Kinew remains firm in his personal opposition, stating that he would prefer to continue the trade fight. He warned that even if American products return to store shelves, Canadians should prioritize domestic goods to support local employment and businesses. Meanwhile, Ontario Premier Doug Ford has yet to comment on the emerging trade framework. The report also notes that because who’s to say it’s not going to be undone?” Kinew said, that’s why I say you can’t make a good deal with a bad person. The report also notes that trade, said Thursday the two countries were close to finalizing an agreement after he returned to Washington to meet again with U.S. The report also notes that he’s about to get slaughtered in the midterms and the cost of living is the number one issue and he’s completely out of touch with the cost of living of Americans,” Kinew said. The report also notes that “Everybody knows the American president by now, he’s erratic, he’s irresponsible, and he’s not to be trusted. The report also notes that neither side has released the full terms. The report also notes that but he urged consumers to keep buying Canadian even if U.S. The report also notes that i think America is weaker around the world today than it was a year ago.

More News

Comments

Your email address will not be published.